“More of Him, less of me.”
There’s a quote (and bible verse John 3:30) that most of us have heard, this topic needs to have a more Godly light to shine on it now, verses part one where it was just my opinions. Knowing more about forms of pride will help you come to realize that there are some many ways you can come off as prideful. Pride lures us into living independently of God and can ultimately cut us off from others and God Himself.
Forms of Bad Pride (and biblical truth)
- Appearance: We are not trying to commend ourselves to you again, but are giving you an opportunity to take pride in us, so that you can answer those who take pride in us so that you can answer those who take pride in what is seen rather than what is in the heart. 2 Corinthians 5:12
- Riches: They took pride in their beautiful jewelry and used it to make detestable idols. They made it into vile images; therefore I will make it a thing unclean for them. Ezekiel 7:20
- Comparison: Each one should test their own actions,then they can take pride in themselves alone, without comparing themselves to someone else. Galatians 6:4
- Achievement: Let someone else praise you, and not your own mouth; on outsider, and not your own lips. Proverbs 27:2
- Boasting: Your boasting is not good. Don’t you know that a little yeast leavens the whole batch of dough? Get rid of old yeast so that you may be a new unleavened batch- as you really are. 1 Corinthians 5:6-7
Forms of Good Pride (and biblical truth)
- Jesus: My soul will make its boast in the Lord; The humble will hear it and rejoice. Psalm 34:2 but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the Lord. Jeremiah 9:24 Therefore, as it is written: “Let the one who boasts boast in the Lord. 1 Corinthians 1:31
- Others: as you have understood us in part, you will come to understand fully that you can boast of us just as we will boast of you in the day of the Lord Jesus. 2 Corinthians 1:14 We are not commending ourselves to you again but giving you cause to boast about us, so that you may be able to answer those who boast about outward appearance and not about what is in the heart. 2 Corinthians 5:12 For he was crucified in weakness, but lives by the power of God. For we also are weak in him, but in dealing with you we will live with him by the power of God. 2 Corinthians 13:4
- Yourself: Let the lowly brother boast in his exaltation, and the rich in his humiliation, because like a flower of the grass he will pass away. James 1:9-10
There is a constant struggle knowing if the pride you have is good or not, going to Christ to intercede those questions will always be the best way to go. If you didn’t notice, good pride comes from keeping your priorities in order. When you serve in a way that Jesus always comes first followed by others and lastly yourself, you experience joy.
With bad pride there will be no joy because there will never be full completion in a flawed human, always seek Christ with your imperfections.